PREVIEW: Rail rivalry takes center stage
TUESDAY PRESS | DIGITAL PROGRAM | PLAY NOTES | TICKETS
CHATTANOOGA — The Chattanooga Mocs and ETSU Bucs have a lot of history. It covers a variety of sports, with basketball arguably the most contested in the rivalry over the years. This has grown more and more on the grill since the Bucs’ return to the OVC.
This year’s “Rail Rivalry” has all the makings of a classic Southern Conference game. Both teams caught the SEC’s attention with the ETSU’s season opener at Vanderbilt and the Mocs’ near crash at No.11 Kentucky. Teams are built in a similar fashion.
They are arguably the two most physical defenses in the league. They’re also two of the best rushing attacks with four of the league’s best running backs on display at Finley Stadium. The Chattanooga duo Ailym Ford ((98.8) and Tyrell Prize (70.8) averaged nearly 170 yards per game after combining 240 yards at VMI on Saturday.
Quay Holmes leads SoCon with 124.8 yards per game for the Bucs. He is supported by Jacob Saylors 66.8. They face the league’s No. 1 defense against Chattanooga.
# 10 ETSU in Chattanooga
Game 6 | October 16 | Chattanooga, Tennessee | Finley Stadium (20,660)
|Team||Save||SoCon||Top 25 Performance Statistics||Top 25 AFCA coaches|
TV – ESPN + / Nexstar: Pete Yanity (PxP) & Jared Singleton (Analysis)
Radio – WFLI 97.7 FM / 1070 AM: Jim Reynolds (PxP), Todd Agne (Analysis) & Will Poindexter (Sideline)
Listen Live – The radio broadcast is available for free online at GoMocs.com and on the University Network Application.
SERIES AGAINST. ETSU
Match: 44th | Record: 23-19-1 | Home: 15-8 | Away: 8-11-1 | Last 5: 3-2
Three wins in four games since the Bucs’ return to the league.
Last meeting: victory 16-13 on October 17, 2019 at Finley Stadium
- Last year’s meeting was canceled due to COVID.
- Ran for 244 yards led by Ailym Ford a career-high 200 with two touchdowns.
- Chattanooga came back from a 13-7 halftime deficit behind a 14-yard Ford TD in the third quarter and a game-winner Victor Ulmo ’20 by 30 yards with 14 seconds left.
More information on the series and the notes from the last meeting on page 11 of the Chattanooga Play Notes.
UTC: Rusty wright (Chattanooga ’96) | UTC: 11-11 (3rd) | Career: Idem | against ETSU: 1-0
ETSU: Randy Sanders (Tennessee ’89) | ETSU: 21-15 (4th) | Career: Idem | against UTC: 0-1
3 NOTES TO KNOW
- We mentioned yesterday that the cumulative score in the last three meetings is 40-33 in favor of Chattanooga. But that includes drastic divisions: 33-7 advantage to ETSU in the first half, 33-0 Mocs in the second.
- Ailym Ford is now tied for eighth with Gene Roberts (1945-46) in 100-yard rushing games with nine. His next move makes him eighth with 10 or more penpals joining Gwain Durden ’80 (16), Jacob Huesman ’15 (15), Mike Smith ’80 (15), Eldra Buckley ’06 (13), Derrick Craine ’16 (12), James Roberts ’91 (12) and Tyrone Coleman ’98 (10).
- The Mocs lead the league in sacks with 2.8 per game. ETSU have only allowed four in six games. OF Devonnsha maxwell is No. 4 all-time in Chattanooga in sacks with 22.5 for his career. He is a stone’s throw from third Josh Williams (2009-12) 23.5 and 10 from finalist Keionta Davis (2013-16) with 31. Davis Tull (2011-14) holds the school and conference mark ( 37).
It’s Teacher Appreciation Week with a special guest. American Idol winner Ruben Studdard performs the national anthem.
Educators get a free ticket with valid work ID and discounted seats for their immediate family joining them at the game. The Mocs also honor the excellent work of their student-athletes with the annual Academic Day which goes perfectly with the appreciation of those who help lay the foundation for our future success as a society.
There is also a ticketing offer linked to our featured artist. Studdard is from Birmingham and often wore “205” shirts during competition, so for this game tickets in the 205 chair back section are $ 20, a 20% discount. Section 205 tickets are available by calling (423) 266-MOCS (6627). The game is sponsored by UTC’s Diversity and Engagement Division.
In-home tickets are available by calling (423) 266-MOCS (6627) or online here at GoMocs.com. Fans can also use the GoMocs app available on Android and Apple IOS devices in their respective app stores.
NEXT 3 WEEKS
Oct 23: at Samford, 1 p.m. | Current record: 2-3 / 1-2 | This week: in Wofford
Oct 30: Furman (Homecoming), 1:30 p.m. | Current record: 3-2 / 1-1 | This week: the citadel
November 6: at Wofford, 1:30 p.m. | Current record: 1-4 / 0-3 | This week: Samford
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. Purchase officially licensed material from our online shop. The Mocs can also be followed on their official website Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.