Comparison of Semrush and Ahrefs SEO tools
Many consider Semrush and Ahrefs to be two of the best search engine optimization (SEO) tools available because of their features that aim to help businesses improve their search engine rankings and expand their reach. To help you decide between the two, we’ll break down Semrush and Ahrefs in terms of features, usability, and price to see which is better.
The benefits of SEO tools like Semrush and Ahrefs
Read: The Best SEO Software and Tools (Paid and Free)
To grow your business, especially online, you need traffic and visitors from search engines. This can be achieved by using an SEO tool that optimizes your website, so that it appears higher in search engine results pages (SERPs).
Here are some ways SEO tools can boost your rankings and increase your visibility:
Choosing the right keywords can make a huge difference in your traffic and rankings. SEO tools simplify the process of selecting not only the best keywords with high search volumes, but also those that you can rank for, based on keyword difficulty or the level of competition you are facing. will be confronted for a given keyword.
Spy on competitors
Keeping an eye on your own website and its position is essential for digital marketing, but you also need to do the same with your competitors. Observing your competitors and seeing what works is essential if you want to move up the SERPs. Find out who outperforms your business, then emulate or improve on what they do to gain a competitive edge.
It saves you time and keeps you from reinventing the wheel when it comes to SEO, and tools like Ahrefs and Semrush can help you keep track of your competitors with ease. Instead of doing the work manually, SEO tools can give you faster insight into what keywords your competitors are ranking for, who is linking to them, and more.
Monitoring your rankings
Internet marketing tools make it very easy to monitor your site’s performance in search engine rankings, so you can see if your efforts are working or need to be changed. Whether you manually track keywords or enter your site URL to see where you stand, you’ll never have to wonder about your site’s placement again, thanks to this common feature of SEO tools. .
An SEO tool can help you see who is linking to your website, so you can optimize your link building strategy. They do this by tracking backlinks to your site’s URLs and offering real insights on how to make instant improvements, such as suggestions on which websites to look for backlinks from.
Read: Link Building Strategies for SEO
Make your content more SEO friendly
You want to make sure that all content on your site is SEO optimized. This can be quite a complicated and tedious chore if done manually, which is where SEO tools come in. Using their auditing tools to examine your entire site and pages for content, you can get actionable tips on how to make everything more SEO friendly. It also works for on-page SEO elements, like making sure you have the right header tags in place, good page titles, and SEO-optimized images.
The above benefits are basic features that you can expect from most SEO tools. When choosing an SEO solution, choose one with more advanced features, so you can also enjoy more features through on-page SEO, analysis of your social media profiles, local SEO, keyword research for paid search, and more.
A comparison of Semrush and Ahrefs
As you can see, there are several reasons to invest your time and money in an SEO tool. As for the best SEO software to improve your rankings and reach, let’s take a look at how Semrush and Ahrefs compare when it comes to features, ease of use, and price.
Features of Semrush
Semrush, like Ahrefs, is one of the best SEO tools you can find. It debuted in 2008 as a Firefox extension called SEO Digger. It was later renamed SeoQuake until it found its current moniker Semrush.
This handy search engine optimization tool offers multiple ways to improve your search engine and content marketing through an all-in-one solution with the following features:
- Competitor Tracking: You can instantly determine who your competitors are by entering your domain name. From there, you can see details like each competitor’s best content, keywords (paid and organic), and more.
- Keyword research: Easily generate keyword ideas, then track your performance for each.
- Content analysis: Check if your content follows SEO best practices. If not, Semrush will give you quick tips to fix it.
- Social networks: Since social media plays a huge role in visitors’ daily lives and rankings, it’s good to know that Semrush covers it as part of its feature set. Use the social media tool to post on your platforms, find ads, and track your posts, so you can see what’s hitting and what’s missing.
- Ad Monitoring: Optimize your ad spend with an ad research tool, domain monitor, and PPC (pay-per-click) keyword tool.
- Local SEO: If your business mainly relies on nearby customers, Semrush local SEO monitoring can help you get traffic by tracking your search ranking, managing your listing and performing site audits.
- Robust reports: Create eye-catching custom reports that are packed with data for keywords, entire domains, or URLs.
Semrush offers user-friendly tools and an easy-to-use dashboard, which is crucial because Semrush can overload you with data that might seem intimidating to an SEO analyst on the surface. The top of the dashboard features a search bar for domains, URLs or keywords, and the left panel provides instant access to tools for many features, such as local SEO, advertising, social media , etc
Although quite intuitive, Semrush offers you a help center with tutorials, so you can get started. And, if you want to learn more about SEO, there’s also Semrush Academy, which offers tons of courses on the subject.
Semrush comes in three price tiers:
Read: Semrush SEO Tool Review
Ahrefs was launched 11 years ago as a simple site crawler. Now, SEO professionals, digital marketing agencies, and businesses are using it to boost their rankings through the following features:
- Site Explorer: Useful for spying on competitors, this feature offers insight into your competitors’ most important content and keywords.
- Keyword Explorer: Helps you easily find and track keyword ideas for your domain.
- Keyword tracker: Allows you to track SERPs for keywords and filter offers by computer, mobile and location.
- Site Audit: This feature will let you know if your site is SEO optimized, showing you both good and bad SEO performance and suggesting ways to improve.
- Content Explorer: Gone are the days of guessing what content to produce, as it helps you come up with ideas by identifying the most viral content for any keyword or niche.
- Click data: Get an overview of search volume and estimated click-through rate (CTR) with this feature that provides click data for keywords.
Ahrefs doesn’t take long to get used to, as it’s quite intuitive and has a nice looking dashboard. Although you may not need it, each page has an instant help icon that links to support. Beyond that, Ahrefs has plenty of how-to guides and video tutorials to help you navigate the tool, as well as SEO articles and resources, so you can learn more on the side.
Ahrefs offers four pricing plans to suit different needs and budgets:
- light: $99 per month
- Standard: $179 per month
- Advanced: $399 per month
- Agency: $999 per month
Read: Tools for SEO Competitor Analysis
Semrush vs Ahrefs comparison: the final verdict
Both Semrush and Ahrefs come with features to help you improve your search engine rankings. We recommend Semrush, as Ahrefs lacks a few practical benefits like social media and PPC ad monitoring. However, both tools can be beneficial in expanding your visibility and reach.
Read more search engine optimization tutorials and SEO tool reviews and comparisons.