AARP Massachusetts launches audio story collection project for the Latino community with event on October 25
At AARP, we understand the power of storytelling. A good story will inspire, educate and entertain. It is often through their stories that our members pass on traditions, share life lessons and connect with loved ones. The stories of our AARP Latino members are reflected in the collective experience of an entire community, connected by a unique cultural identity.
Join AARP Massachusetts for the online event The Power of YOUR Stories – Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Monday October 25, 2021 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
The Power of YOUR Stories, moderated by Jorge Quiroga, AARP MA Executive Board Member and Award-Winning Retired Television Journalist, is a celebration of the value of stories from the Hispanic / Latino / Latin community of Massachusetts and their contribution to American tapestry. .
Panelists, including iconic radio host Jose Masso, will weave stories related to care, food, family and more. Participants will leave feeling empowered to share their own story with a loved one using the StoryCorps Connect app, with the option of uploading it to the United States Library of Congress for researchers, students, journalists. and others learn more about Latino culture. from Massachusetts.
This program will be translated into Spanish and will take place on Zoom.
More information about Vivan los Voces
AARP is delighted to announce that in collaboration with StoryCorps, AARP has launched “Vivan Las Voces” (Long live the voices), a national audio story collection project dedicated to capturing the diverse stories and experiences of the Latin American community.
“Vivan Las Voces is an opportunity for AARP to honor the rich history and culture of the Latino community by helping to preserve their stories for future generations, âsaid Mike Festa, Massachusetts State Director at AARP. âThese stories are invaluable pieces of history that provide first-hand insight into Latin culture in the United States. From family history and cultural traditions to personal successes and challenges, everyone has a story, and every story counts equally. We are excited to be working with StoryCorps on this program and look forward to documenting part of the Latino experience, one story at a time.
Stories are captured via a conversational format, usually person-to-person, and participation is easy, fun, and rewarding. You simply invite a loved one, or anyone else of your choice, to join you for free StoryCorps Connect online videoconferencing platform to share a 40-minute conversation.
The recordings will not only be available for attendees to treasure and pass on, but the audio and a photo of each conversation will also be archived at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress. As such, the collection of content from Vivan Las Voces will preserve in history a primary source perspective of the Latin American experience through the powerful medium of storytelling.
To participate in Vivan Las Voces is open to anyone interested in capturing something special about the life of a loved one through the easy-to-use StoryCorps platform. Conversations can be recorded in English, Spanish or a mixture of both today by visiting www.storycorpsconnect.org.
Here are the steps and helpful tips for a successful StoryCorps Connect conversation:
Steps and tips for a successful StoryCorps Connect interview:
- Select an interview partner. It could be anyone you want to have a meaningful conversation with: a parent, grandparent, mentor, close friend, teacher, etc.
- Prepare questions. You can use StoryCorps’ Big questions list or create your own.
- Create a StoryCorps account. Create an account for the StoryCorps virtual recording platform at archive.storycorps.org.
- Reserve a moment to speak. Make sure you set aside enough time so that you don’t feel rushed. Most interviews last around 40 minutes.
- Have the conversation of a lifetime. Connect to storycorpsconnect.org and let the conversation flow!
- Save it for history. When the conversation is over, click on âStop recordingâ and âRecord interviewâ. Enter a descriptive title, summary, keywords, and photo to make it easier for you and others to find your interview in the future. Don’t forget to tag the conversation #VivanLasVoces that your story is officially part of the Vivan Las Voces project.